Step Out of the Box…and onto The Stage!
The Theatre Institute at Sage Internship program is an intensive, immersion program for high school seniors that gives them unmatched opportunities for academic, professional and personal development while they explore careers in theatre performance and production.
TIS Interns Learn & Experience:
- Acting, voice & dance
- Rehearsal & live performance
- Lighting, sound, costumes & props
- Set design & construction
- Marketing & public relations
- Arts planning & development
- And much, much more!
- Receive hands-on training in performance, educational theatre, technical theatre, and arts administration.
- Partake in high school and college-level courses.
- Participate in theatre classes and workshops.
- Work both collaboratively and independently.
- Gain a strong sense of responsibility, self-discipline and professionalism.
In addition, TIS interns receive a Russell Sage College ID Card for the duration of their enrollment that will entitle them to full privileges on campus, including use of the McKinstry Fitness Center, computer labs, student computer accounts, The Sage Colleges Libraries, and more.
Students attend TIS for one semester, either September through mid-January, or mid-January through June.
TIS is located at Schacht Fine Arts Center on the Russell Sage College campus in historic downtown Troy.
TIS follows the high school calendar, and meets daily from 10 a.m – 6 p.m. (There will be slight variations in the hours when shows are in production).
Four Units of Study
- Educational Theatre
- Arts Administration
- Technical Theatre
High School Credits
12th grade English: One Credit
Art Elective: One-half Credit
Social Studies (Participation in Government or Economics): One-half Credit
Independent Physical Education: One-half Credit (at discretion of school district)
TIS interns are offered one of the following college courses, based on availability:
- Acting I: Storytelling/Improvisation (3 credits), or
- Stagecraft (3 credits), or
- Stage Combat (11/2 credits)
- Exploring Theatre (3 credits)
To receive college credit, a student must register with Sage and pay a fee of $50/per credit.
Who Can Apply?
The TIS Internship Program is available to a limited number of qualified and motivated high school seniors. Interested students must complete the application and interview process during their junior year in high school. Take your first step out of the box!
For students applying through BOCES contact:
CTE Coordinator Questar III
10 Empire State Boulevard
Castleton, NY 12033
All other interested students contact:
TIS Intern and Education Programs Coordinator